Sunday, June 29, 2008

Forget to Learn ...

On Saturday, I went to an "Intro to Voice-Over & Acting" class in SF. I've been wanting to do VO work for years and, in fact, have done some off-n-on, here-n-there, mostly for friends and at various companies I worked for. You see, I was a radio broadcasting major and I intended on working in radio but, as many of my friends have heard the story patiently over and over, the talk radio station I was working at just before graduation went bust -- the owner came in and fired everyone except for one engineer to keep the station running on satelite feed -- and, to make the story short, I ended up going the 'practial' route and got a job in tech.

So, hear I am years later and the urge to really pursue the VO path has finally pushed me to sign up for some classes at a local studio. This first session was an overview of the business but there was a point where everyone had a chance to be 'on mic' and read some short copy to see how they liked it. I know I like doing this but found the nerves kicked in when I got in front of the room and suddenly I couldn't stop over-thinking the delivery. The result, besides a stiff read, was the realization that just like when I work on an art project, a writing project, or any other creative endeavor, I need to get out of my head, get out of my way and just go with the process. If I think it through too much, the end product doesn't work.

Moving forward, I need to forget everything I learned in my years of broadcast training and open up to all the new information to be learned about voice-acting. I think it's going to be a fun ride.

No comments: