Sunday, May 25, 2008

Young @ Heart ...

Part of my plan to kick off the 3-day weekend was see "Young @ Heart" on Saturday but the show was SOLD OUT. So, today, I set the alarm, grabbed a Peet's double latte and headed to the theater early for the morning matinee. Fantastic!

It was a great experience even before the movie started.
The elderly lady sitting next to me had also tried to see Saturday's show (sold out) so we chatted a bit about how we really wanted to see "Yount @ Heart" on the big screen and that led to other movie talk - both of us loved "Iron Man" and thought Tony Stark was the role Robert Downey Jr. was meant to play. But back to "Young @ Heart" ...

As I sat in a theater full of people - most at least 60 and many probably 80 - all to see a film about octogenarians singing Sonic Youth, The Clash and others, I started to smile. Music is universal.

I'm no film critic so not going to attempt a review. Let's just say, you must see this movie.



Note: I did notice a few key differences with the audience: no text messaging during the movie, no talking during show and, following the film, the line for the restroom formed quickly. Ah, things to look forward to.

(post addition) I should also mention, during this movie was the first time I enjoyed a Cold Play song.

No comments: