Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Art Journal Project Continues ...

Art Journal Project ...
The last few months have been stupidly busy. I wish I could say I've been busy with lots of fun and creative things and, while there has been some of that, there's also been a lot fo day-job hoo-haw gettin' in the way. But, that said, I finally managed to finish working in the 3rd journal I received as part of a rotating Art Journal project!

Each Journal was started by a different artist - they creat the cover & choose the theme - this journal was all about Travel. While most of my recent travel has been business trips (no, I am not going to create a journal page with that focus), I did have a wonderful trip to Oaxaca last October (and also in 1999) that I used for inspiration.

Art Journal Project ...
The bits of newspaper used throughout the journal are from the newspapers used to wrap items I bought in Oaxaca.

Art Journal Project ...
The inside started with very bright colors: hot pink of the papel picado, bright yellow paint, the original colors of the Catarina image and my photographs. But, while there is a lot of color in Mexico, most of it is knocked back a bit with layers of earth -- so I hit everything with washes to tone the color down. The handwritten text says "CelebraciĆ³n de la Vida en la Tierra de Tres Valles."

Art Journal Project ...
The metal objects in the journal all started as brightly painted or plain tin. Using techniques I learned from Michael deMeng during the Oaxaca trip, I altered each with layers of paint. (I also used Michael's painting techniques on the 'burned paper' edges.)

Art Journal Project ...
Art Journal Project ...
To give you an idea of where this journal started ...


So, that's the spread.

Art Journal Project ...
And now it's time for me to work on the next journal. It arrived in April but I held off opening the box until this one was completed. Hmmm ... maybe I'll get to use bones in the next book ...

1 comment:

~*~Patty S said...

Your journal pages are beyond amazing, just can't look at them enough = WOW!