Monday, June 11, 2007

Impromptu Art Class ...

One plus of working a 'straight job' is that you sometimes get good employee discounts and, while I don't need that many copies of [insert product here], I've found that my friends are often in need of stuff and that can lead to some fun barter situations.

In this particular case, I leveraged my bro-in-law's employee discount for Roberta Lee Woods, my artist-friend in Santa Cruz. Originally, the plan was product in exchange for a piece of artwork but instead she offered to give me a 1-on-1 collage workshop. Sold!

So, Saturday, drove over the hill and made my first attempts at collage.

To start things off, Roberta grabbed a piece of BFK paper and wet it down so that the paint would flow ... then it was my job to start making a big sheet of background paper ...

Makin' background paper ...

After ripping the paper into smaller sections, it was time to bring out the glue & paper bits ...

My first collage attempt:

Collage 1 ...

And, after some encouragement from Roberta to work a bit larger ...

My second collage attempt:

Collage 2 ...

Hmm, maybe I'll frame this one. Whatcha' think?

Suitable for Framing?

3 comments:

debrabrumbaugh said...

I would definitely frame it! It's great! I love the lines, the colors ... it's fun!! Good work!

Curly_Bird said...

Really cool to see the growth just from the first to the second attempt. It's beautiful. Off to the frame store with you!

Aquareelle said...

J'aime beaucoup !!!!!!!!