Friday, December 01, 2006

Jesus vs. The Penguins

So claimed the headline on Moviefone today. But did I spend my Friday night watching an ancient birthday party? No. Did I spend the end of my week watching small, flightless birds dance? No. Instead, I planted myself on the couch and watched a 2 hour and 48 minute musical about the congressional fight over and final signing of the Declaration of Independence. Fresh from the New York stage and coming to a silver screen near you in 1972 ... it's 1776!

Watching the movie felt like the right way to wrap up a week spent listening to Sarah Vowell's The Partly Cloudy Patriot while trying to avoid idiots in BMWs on my daily commute. Not only did I get a refresher course in early American history and catch a clue as to why Virgina "is for lovers" but I also learned something new while watching 1776 ... Benjamin Franklin reminds me of my Grandpa.

Thanks, Howard Da Silva.

1 comment:

Songs, Stories And Films From The Edge said...

What a movie! Ben Franklin, Tommy Jefferson & John Adams fresh from their Tony-award winning stint on Broadway. No wonder why all these guys ended up on U.S. currency...